Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Smog in the City

this heat and humidity is hellish.

...there is no ventilation in my apt building and I keep trying to meditate - pretending I'm in a breezy, cool oasis with mint green leaves, sugar cane, pineapple, watermelon, water, cool breeze with the smell of salt water in the air, the taste in my mouth...BUT NO.

I am in a neverending episode of Smog in The City. Today's episode is entitled "Why"?

Why did there have to be a strike by the city's Transit Commission on the hottest, most humid day of the year?

Why are people wearing jackets?

Why are people wearing booty shorts?

Why are union leaders acting like corporate executives?

Why did the workers take so long to decide on job action?

Why is my apartment not central air conditioned?

Why don't I live with my parents whose home is central air conditioned?

Why does the heat suck so much energy out of our bodies?

Why does it take days like this to understand that life must necessarily be slower in equitorial/hottest regions in the world? (i.e. why does homeostatis have to be such an inefficient physiological function?)

Why can't I decide whether to keep my windows open to let the scarce breeze, passing by every 10 minutes, come inside, or to keep my windows closed to leave out the heat, smog and humidity?

Why can't I accept the idea of sleeping for the night in a cold bath where 'tossing and turning' would be the equivalent of draining some water and refilling with more cold water?


Signed,

Carrie.

1 Comments:

Blogger chrome said...

many questions but no answers. got a tune for ya:

Freddie Foxx a.k.a Bumpy Knuckles - Why?

u're not alone.

11:51 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home